MERIT- Statewide Transit Grants Program
MERIT-Making Efficient and Responsible Investments in Transit- is the Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation's (DRPT) statewide public transportation grants program. This program provides financial assistance to support Public Transportation services throughout the state and is designed to support DRPT's core mission:
"To facilitate and improve the mobility of the inhabitants of Virginia, and to promote the efficient transport of goods and people in a safe, reliable, and cost effective manner."
The MERIT program consists of the following individually administered grant programs:
- Operating Assistance
- Capital Assistance
- Demonstration Project Assistance
- Technical Assistance
- Public Transportation Intern Program
Fiscal Year 2022 (FY22) MERIT Program Application Resources:
- The Blue Book also known as FY 2022 DRPT Transit and Commuter Assistance Grant Application Manual contains detailed information on the goals, eligibility requirements, eligible expenses, and application process for all DRPT administered grants programs.
- The applications for all DRPT administered grant programs are available through the OLGA portal.
- Fall 2020 Grantee Workshop Presentations:
Transit and Special Programs Grants Workshop Recording FY22
Key FY22 MERIT Application Dates:
- December 1, 2020: DRPT will hosted a workshop in advance of the annual grant application period.
- December 1, 2020: The FY21 grant application period opens.
- February 1, 2021: Applications are due for all statewide and federal grant programs.
- February-April 2021: DRPT evaluates applications.
- May 2021: Applications are due for FTA Section 5303 funds.
- April-May 2021: DRPT completes application evaluation and develops the draft Six-Year Improvement Program which contains funding for public transportation and commuter services programs and services.
- June 2021: The Commonwealth Transportation Board adopts the Six-Year Improvement Program, and DRPT notifies applicants of approved grants.