Work We're Doing
I-495 Southside Capital Beltway Transit and TDM Study
DRPT is conducting a transit and transportation demand management study for I-495 Southside to identify a range of solutions that can be implemented to reduce congestion, improve trip reliability and regional connections, and enhance existing and planned multimodal mobility and connectivity.
The study area extends for 11 miles of I-495, or the Capital Beltway, from the Springfield Interchange (I-95/I-395/I-495) in Fairfax County, Virginia to Maryland Route 210 in Prince George's County, Maryland. It also includes the Metrorail and Virginia Railway Express Lines between Springfield and Alexandria.
This study aims to evaluate existing transportation future mobility solutions. The study will consider potential mobility options for travel along the I-495 Southside, including--but not limited to--carpool, rideshare, local bus, express bus, bus rapid transit, Metrorail, regional rail, and intercity rail service.
The study will help inform the Environmental Assessment underway by the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) through the I-495 Southside Express Lanes Study that is looking at potentially extending the express lanes system on the southern section of the Capital Beltway. DRPT and VDOT are working in close coordination on these two studies.
The Transit and TDM sutdy is conducting in coordination with a Technical Advisory Committee. The TAC is comprised of regional transit providers, transportation departments, and municipal and county governments.
- Begin Study: May 2022
- Begin Baseline Condition and Needs Assessment: May 2022
- Begin Identifying Preliminary Strategies: June/July 2022
- Public Meeting: July 2022
- Testing, Refinement, and Prioritization of Recommendations: July-November 2022
- Draft Study: December 2022
- Public Meeting: December 2022
- Final Study: January 2022
Sign Up to Receive Updates!
- Giant Food at Springfield Plaza
- 6364a Springfield Plaza, Springfield, VA 22150, Friday; December 9, 2022, from 3 pm to 7 pm
- Old Town Farmers’ Market
- 301 King St, Alexandria, VA 22314; Saturday, December 10, 2022, from 7 am to 12 pm
- Giant Food at Eastover Shopping Center
- 20 Audrey Ln, Oxon Hill, MD 20745; Sunday, December 11, from 12 pm to 4 pm
- We want your Input! There are various ways to provide your feedback throughout the study.
- Register for the upcoming Virtual Public Meeting:
- December 13, 2022 at 6:30pm
- Register here!
- Summer 2022 Virtual Public Meeting
- For additional information or questions, please contact the DRPT project manager, Todd Horsley.